My trials, my tribulations, my lessons, my experiences, my joy, my thoughts, my feelings, my rainbows, my life.

Monday, March 23, 2015

SG50 & Lee Kuan Yew

I've never been someone who's into politics. Even when elections are around the corner, or when friends are deep in discussion and angsty about politics I'd listen but usually I'm 'oh okay'.

Although some issues, no doubt, irks me and riles me up, I usually believe that there is a bigger picture and try my best not to push the blame to any single party (country, continent or person).

For example, when a country is bombed or an notorious terrorist is killed and the rest of the world is cheering and celebrating, I usually and most probably will not be joining in and will in fact pray for that country or person, and wonder if the media has truthfully reported every fact and what if it's the case of a scapegoat, etc.

Yea, so when Lee Kuan Yew, Prime Minister of Singapore, fell gravely sick and I saw the comments of netizens online cursing him, it really disappointed me. Especially the case of someone spreading false news that he had passed away when he had not.

To me these are mindless and disrespectful doings. Did these people spare a thought for his family? How would you feel if it was done unto you?

I mean, no doubt he is a public figure, but he is 1) an old man who 2) undoubtedly contributed much to building up Singapore.

Although he might have made some decisions which may not sit well with some, or said some things which sounded shocking and elitist, I wish people would just be more respectful. Even if you do not respect him as a leader, please respect him as a fellow human.

And before commenting vicious things online, perhaps take a good look in the mirror and see if you can do better before opening your mouth.

Which leads me to wonder if people rebel just for the sake for rebelling without getting their facts right. I hope not.




I myself am imperfect and quick to judge too, so I'm trying to learn as well.

Anyway, just want to say that Singapore is 50 this year. While my dream is to travel and work at places out of Singapore, I am thankful to have gotten a good education and every opportunity along the way, which I may not have gotten if I was born and raised elsewhere.

Condolences to Mr Lee KY's family, and thank you Mr Lee for putting in so much effort to build up Singapore.

All in all, thank God for every little thing and blessing and I still pray for happiness, health and world peace.

No comments: